May 14, 2015
Joe Gladstone is an academic
researcher and consultant based at the University of Cambridge,
where he applies insights from behavioural economics and
psychological research to better understand consumer
partners with some of the world’s largest corporations, such as
Twitter, Bupa and Visa, as well as government departments, to
tackle challenges that deal with behaviour change.
views on consumer behaviour have been featured in
the BBC, Forbes, The
Huffington Post and other media outlets.
of BE-events.org and BE-Recruit.com. He received his Masters
from Oxford University and his Phd
from Cambridge University, and has been awarded a
range of competitive grants and prizes.
- about the link between the
discipline of psychology and economics.
- why Joe decided to do postgraduate
research in behavioral economics.
- how advances in technology,
especially in social media, can help behavioral scientists
understand human behaviour better.
- why you do not know how much you
spend on coffee.
- how Joe has identified the
relationship between psychology and money.
- how Joe has used the ‘My
Personality’ app to predict your personality from what you
- how companies can use ‘Big Data’ to
target messages directly to you.
- why people are willing to pay for
services that they could otherwise get for free.
- if TIDAL will disrupt the online
music industry by taking control of their own music.
- if Spotify risks losing out to
- how important is the price of
- how the ‘Pay What You Want’ pricing
model defies classical economic theory.
- why people pay even if they are
given the option to take the product for free.
- how Radiohead made more in sales
when offering their album on a ‘Pay What You Want’
- if the ‘Pay What You Want’ model is
sustainable for a business in the long run?
- how Jon Bon Jovi has successfully
implemented the ‘Pay What You Want’ model in his Soul Kitchen
restaurant in New Jersey.
- how sitting with strangers to eat
in Soul Kitchen can ‘nudge’ diners to pay more than what they were
initially willing to pay.
- about Joe’s passion for financial
literacy and financial empowerment.
- if you can become immune to nudging
by having a deeper understanding of it.
- if knowledge prevents you from
- about behavioral economics events
that could be going on in your area with BE-event.org.
- how Joe maximises his time by
outsourcing his work on oDesk.
- Subscribe to the Economic Rockstar podcast
on iTunes and never miss an episode.