Dec 4, 2014
Naomi Brockwell is an opera singer, film-maker and actress, and
studied commerce at the University of Western Australia. Currently
residing in New York, Naomi also runs her own company Rainsworth
Productions and is a fellow at The Moving Picture Institute. Naomi
speaks five languages, plays six musical instruments and, of
course, is a gold medal-winning Irish dancer. Naomi is on the
Advisory Council of the Mannkal Economic Education Foundation and
is the always effervescent face of Bitcoin Girl.
In this interview, Naomi mentions and
discusses: bitcoins, crypto-currencies, monetary
policy, inflation, fiat currency, fractional reserve banking,
central banks, living standards, international trade,
negative externalities, unintended consequences,equilibrium, supply
Economists and Economic
In this interview,
Naomi mentions: Victor Niederhoffer, Gene
Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Jean-Baptiste Say, Ludwig von Mises,
Friedrich Hayek, Carl Menger, Erik Voorheese, Paul Krugman,
Austrian economics, Libertarianism, Keynesian economics and Hunter
- what Naomi's two favorite drinks are - they're Irish by the
- and watch Naomi's video 'Bitcoin
Girl' (see below), made
with The Moving Picture Institute,
in which she is featured.
- what began Naomi's passion for
economics after staying in New York City to
study and train with other great opera singers.
- how a discussion on the housing
crisis and the housing bubble
at Junto in New York City
inspired Naomi to read economics.
- how a chance email to Gene
Epstein of Barron's developed a passion
for Austrian and Libertarian economics.
- Naomi's shared views with Gene on educating people
in economics even if they disagree on some of the thinking.
- why Naomi questions the foundation
of fiat money after reading
- why Naomi believes that the private sector can
manage money better than the government.
- why bitcoin is used voluntarily with no
- what is a virtual
or crypto-currency and how does
it work when there is no physical coin to use.
- what excites Naomi about Bitcoin and why, as
Bitcoin Girl, she is becoming synonymous with Bitcoin.
what cryptography is and what
it has to do with Bitcoin.
- the difference between fractional
reserve banking and how bitcoin operates.
- what scares Naomi when she requested her Australian
bank to transfer her own money into
a Bitstamp account.
You cna find all the links mentioned in this episode on the
shownoates page at Economic Rockstar